It always pays to be prepared. From fire evacuation to weather emergencies, it is smart to put plans in place to protect your family and belongings. In the winter, many of the preparation starts with winterizing your home and belongings.
Implementing a Winter Weather Plan
To prepare for the coming winter weather, make a communication plan with your family, build emergency supply kits and prepare your home. Follow these tips to winterize your home:
- Make sure your home is well insulated
- Place weather stripping around windows and doors or cover windows with plastic on the inside
- Check your carbon monoxide detector
- Leave a very small amount of water flowing in freezing temperatures to prevent pipes from bursting
- Learn to turn off water valves in case a pipe bursts
- Consider hiring a contractor to check your roof’s ability to sustain unusually heavy weight from snow accumulation
- Store extra wood if you have a fire burning stove
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected every year
Visit your state government’s website for more tips to prepare for winter emergencies.
In addition to winterizing your home, you should also winterize your vehicles, RVs, boats, firearms, hunting gear and more. Follow these tips to properly winterize your firearms and hunting equipment:
Clean – Once the hunting season
is over, take the time to clean your guns and other gear. Firearms and hunting supplies can be expensive, and caring for them in the correct way can make them last.
Treat – Every firearms owner likely has their favorite cleaning products. Whatever you choose to use, wear latex gloves when oiling your firearms to avoid your leaving skin oils that can promote corrosion. Also consider waterproofing your boots and other gear.
Store – Keep your firearms, accessories and hunting gear in a climate controlled area. Never leave firearms in foam-lined transport cases for extended periods of time. Add moisture absorbing packs to your gun safe.
Despite how well you clean, store and care for your firearms, sometimes damage is inevitable. With ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance
your firearms and attached accessories are protected from loss, damage, theft and more. Learn more about protecting your firearms